Interesting facts about Namibia

No, it’s not Nambia. It is Namibia. 

Namibia, is a small country located in southwest Africa,  bordered by Zambia and Angola to the North, Botswana to the East, South Africa to the South and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. 

Here are some interesting facts about this quiet but beautiful place; 

Namibia has quite a history: 

Ever wondered why Namibia has that weird panhandle? Well, when the United Kingdom and Germany were carving up southern Africa they struck a deal: the former would give the latter what’s now known as the Caprivi Strip, in exchange for land elsewhere. The Germans accepted, believing the panhandle would give them access to the Zambezi River and a route to Africa’s east coast. There was just one problem: the world’s largest waterfall, Victoria Falls, lay in the way. The Germans, it transpired, had signed a bum deal.

Namibia enjoys female leadership:

Namibia elected its first female leader in 2015. Saara Kuugongelwa is the country’s fourth prime minister, one of the few female leaders on the continent. 

It’s home to the world’s oldest desert:

The Namib Desert is said to be 80 million years old, and is the most ancient desert on the planet. Namibia also lays claim to the highest sand dune in the world. 

Nearly half of the country is protected:

More than 40 percent of the country is under conservation management. It was also the first African country to incorporate environmental protection into its constitution. Little wonder you find more cheetahs there than anywhere else in the world.

There’s plenty of space:

The name ‘Namib’ translates as “vast place”, which is apt given that Namibia is one of the least crowded destinations on the planet. 

Their Languages:

In addition to English, the citizens also speak Afrikaans and German, including other indigenous languages, such as Khoisan, a group of African dialects famous for their clicking sounds.

The People: 

The Namibian population can be split into roughly 11 ethnic groups, with the biggest proportion (around half), made up of the Ovambo people. Other minorities include: Kavangos, Herero, Damara, European, Nama, Caprivian, San, Basrer and Tswana.

For Religion, 80 per cent of Namibians are Christian and the other 20 per cent follow Animism. We also find Lutherans, Protestants.

There are also White Namibians, a minority group of about six per cent who trace their ancestry to German and South African colonizers who settled in the late 19th century. 

Namibia is such a fascinating place that might take you hours to read about. We hope we’ve given you enough reason to put Namibia on your next must-visit location. 

Do you have any question or comment? Do share with us in the comment section below. 

SHARE
SHOWHIDE Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.