The Ghanaian Light Soup is one of the numerous African dishes or soups that has gained international acclaim.
Light soup is a very fast soup that can be made with readily available supplies. It’s often cooked in high heat. The soup is very nutritious and healthy as it is made from natural products – vegetables and natural spices.
So, where does light soup come from?
It is a traditional Ghanaian soup made by the GaDangme (or Ga) people of the Greater Accra Region.
It was originally formulated as a ‘Tomatoe-Base Sea Fish Light Soup’ called ‘Aklo (or Aklor)’ for fishermen off the coast of Accra, but over time it evolved into a soup made with both fish and goat meat, or fish and lamb meat, or exclusively the meat of the livestock of choice.
Ghanaian light soup is a hot and spicy tomato-based soup. There are different variations of the soup, it can be made with fish, beef, chicken, or mushrooms. Traditionally, it is usually eaten with fufu, plain rice, and omo tuo (rice balls) amongst others, but it’s also delicious on its own. Besides, this soup is very soothing when you have a cold.
There are many variations of this recipe: you can cook some eggplant or zucchini in a saucepan, then blend and add it near the end for a thicker soup; or you can add many other vegetables like okra or mushrooms, or other herbs or seasonings.
Here’s the recipe for light soup prepared the Ghanaian way.
- 4 pieces tomato
- tomato paste
- pepper powder
- spices (garlic, ginger, seasoning)
- garden eggs
- dry fish
- cow meat
- Wash and clean your fish and meat thoroughly in a bowl of water. Remove bones if any.
- Wash pepper, garlic, onion, and ginger and blend together.
- Season with garlic, ginger, pepper, and onion mixture. Add a moderate amount of salt to taste.
- Marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Steam under medium heat for about 8 minutes. Take out the fish from the stock to prevent it from dissolving.
- Peel and wash onions, tomatoes, and peppers. Add to the stock and fill 2/3 of the cooking pot or saucepan with water.
- Boil under medium heat until the vegetables (onion, pepper, and tomatoes) are soft.
- Remove the vegetables, blend until smooth, and pour it back into the saucepan.
- Add a desirable amount of water.
- Add the fish and a small amount of salt to taste. Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Your light soup is ready!
Please share your picture and experience with us when you try it. Happy eating!
Do you have any question or comment? Do share with us in the comment section.